As part of the Global School Personnel Survey (GSPS) of the Global Tobacco Surveillance System (GTSS), the PHRC assessed tobacco use by teachers and school administrators and the existence of a tobacco control system in schools
Implementation of the subsection “Conducting regular studies of NCD risk factors” of paragraph 9.4.2. (Strengthening the use of research results and evidence as the basis for strategic planning for the prevention and control of NCDs) of the Ministry of Health Action Plan for the implementation of the "Strategy for the prevention and control of non-communicable diseases in the Republic of Azerbaijan for 2015-2020", approved by order of the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Azerbaijan Republic No. 16 dated 07.03.2016 was assigned to the PHRC.
Given that smoking begins from adolescence age, much of the prevention process falls to public schools. In maintaining a healthy lifestyle by adolescents and young people, activities carried out by teachers and school administrators are of great importance. Monitoring tobacco smoking among school personnel and methods of controlling it in accordance with standard, systematic and consistent protocols allows obtaining comparative information both within and outside the country.
With this in mind, it was considered appropriate to assess tobacco use among teachers and school administrators and the existence of a tobacco control system in schools with the participation of the PHEC as part of the established Global School Personnel Survey (GSPS) of the Global Tobacco Surveillance System (GTSS). For this study, the following activities were carried out:
- In 2016, 25 schools in the country were selected to conduct the Azerbaijan Global Youth Tobacco Survey (GYTS) with support from WHO and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC);
- Research methodology developed;
- A survey tool (questionnaire) has been prepared, adapted to the objectives of the study. Questions included in the questionnaire:
- Demographic indicators;
- Information on monitoring and documenting tobacco use among teachers and school administrators;
- Information on the knowledge and attitude of teachers and school administrators to tobacco-related issues (existence of a tobacco control system in schools, legislation on smoking ban, etc.);
- Information on the evaluation of the effectiveness of the tobacco control policy in schools;
- Information on the availability of educational activities and materials on the implementation of tobacco control measures.
- Data collectors were selected, instructed, and questionnaires piloted.
- Research was organized in selected schools.
- The research was conducted in 25 schools through 10 interviewers.
- Information on the mentioned issues was collected from teachers and school administrators (750 people) of 25 selected schools of the country by means of survey research.
- A database has been created and data entered into a computer database.
- Data were analyzed.
- The final report has been prepared.
PROJECT COORDINATOR: Tofiq Musayev
CONTACTS: [email protected]